Just Peachy Vanilla-Hemp Smoothie

Posted by on August 12, 2010 | 15 Comments

** Don’t forget to enter this week’s Summer Reading Series Giveaway! **

Yes, my CSA graduated from apricots to peaches … not that I don’t have a freezer full of frozen apricots, but I thought I would shake things up by enjoying some peaches in my smoothies too. And I have to admit, I think I like peaches even better!

This is a simple smoothie recipe that uses vanilla hemp milk and hemp protein for that little something extra in the flavor and health departments. I was going for a balanced smoothie (some added protein and healthy Omega fats) with optimal taste, not a protein shake, which is why I opted to use a modest amount of hemp protein powder … but feel free to up it if you so desire.

vanilla peach hemp smoothie

I’m definitely liking hemp protein powders better than the other options, the only bummer is the green tinge takes away that beautiful peachy hue. But, I guess I will have to warm up to green as a lovely beverage color since the flavor is still wonderful.

Oh, and for those of you worried about the hemp “grit,” I have had good luck with Manitoba Harvest products. The HempPro 70 is the smoothest (nice powder actually), but these flavored varieties blend in nicely with a good 30 second or more whiz in the blender. No complaints here! In fact, my husband says he greatly prefers it to rice protein powder.

Just Peachy Vanilla-Hemp Smoothie

This recipe is Vegan, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, and Refined Sugar-Free.

• 5 Ounces Frozen Peaches (1 overflowing cup)
  • 3/4 to 1 Cup Vanilla Hemp Milk (I used Vanilla Hemp Bliss)
  • 1/8 to 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
  • 1 Date or Stevia to taste (can sub you favorite sweetener to taste)
  • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Hemp Protein Powder (optional – I used Manitoba Harvest Organic Vanilla Hemp Protein)

Add all ingredients, starting with 3/4 cup hemp milk to your blender. I usually pulse it several times first, and then blend until smooth. Add in additional hemp milk to your desired consistency.

Ginger Love: When the ginger cravings strike, I blend in two chunks of crystalized ginger for a special treat (I buy the inexpensive version at Trader Joe’s). For a lower sugar option, feel free to grate in some fresh ginger. Ginger powder just doesn’t cut it though – trust me, I’ve tried it.

Yields 1 peachy serving

peach hemp smoothie

Filed Under: Alisa's Recipes

Comments (15)

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Alisa Fleming, Alisa Fleming. Alisa Fleming said: Just Peachy Vanilla-Hemp Smoothie http://bit.ly/aKQrJW […]

2. Danielle says:

I just finished a post about smoothies, and then found your post from today – the smoothie vibes must be circulating today! Great idea for the ginger in the smoothie – ginger is so great for the stomach and immunity – and that’s a nice easy way of enjoying it!

3. Maggie says:

This sounds delish and refreshing. It’s peach season here and I am in heaven. They’re almost too sweet. I’d love to try this. I’m still warming up to hemp milk though…:)

4. Michelle says:

Gonna try this, but using Almond milk and plain-flavor Hemp Protein powder. (since that’s what’s in the house at the moment).

5. Sarah says:

I have been so scared to try hemp milk. Not sure why but maybe I should give it a try in a smoothie. Thanks for the review.

6. Sounds AMAZING! All this heat has me craving cool fruity drinks like this!

7. Katie says:

When the ginger craving strikes? You mean there is a time when it doesn’t?

I go for straight up fresh ginger. But I’m hardcore like that.

8. alisa says:

Maggie & Sarah – Like almond milk, I find that hemp milk has a distinctive taste, but the makers of hemp milk are getting better at working with that flavor. The vanilla version is sweetened just a bit and I think goes nicely in smoothies. Though I’ve never been one to drink milk or milk alternatives straight.

9. A delicious and healthy smoothie, perfectly with peach & vanilla flavors!

10. I love peaches! This sounds delicious. I am loving hemp protein powder lately, but I have been making little fudge truffles with it. I don’t know if that is what it was intended for, but it is so good!

11. Joanne says:

I would much rather have peaches than apricots…but maybe that’s just me :P

This smoothie sounds SO refreshing (and healthy!)

12. Libby says:

Hemp milk is my new favorite for cooking and baking, too. I’ve been using the Pacific brand, but that’s because it seems to stay good in my fridge longer than the other brands I’ve tried.

13. lindsay says:

I think we’re all on a peach “kick” right now. Love it!! Hemp milk and peaches would be so yummy!!

14. Erica says:

YUM! I haven’t tried hemp protein yet, but did find rice protein very gritty/earthy tasting. I will have to give hemp a go. Peaches are awesome right now

15. Shannon says:

mmm, i bet this tastes like a peach pie :) and i can’t get enough peaches! haven’t tried hemp protein… i’m putting off buying more just due to cost, but it might be my next trial!