Marvelous Maple Cashew Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-Free & Vegan!)

Posted by on March 22, 2010 | 25 Comments

Unfortunately, an onslaught of review requests these past few months kept me from getting to one of my newest gems, The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook by Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre. But ever since I finally cracked it open, I haven’t put it down. It is dusted with flours and splattered with oil, and already deemed a staple in my kitchen.

Since this is a recipe blog, not a review blog, I only share those cookbooks here that inspire some delicious recipes, and this one certainly has. Beyond helping me with my new CSA load with a recipe for Balsamic Roasted Beets and another for Collard Wraps, I quickly gained appreciation for the healthified desserts in this cookbook .. and in typical Alisa-fashion, I jumped straight to the cookies!

Gluten-Free and Vegan Maple Cashew Cookies

The Cashew Coconut Cookies were the first to catch my eye. My husband isn’t a big fan of coconut, but I knew an easy swap for chocolate chips would win him over. And as I taste-tested the dough (come on – you always have to taste test the dough, right?!), I thought it was very good, but perhaps just a touch too healthy for our current cravings. The dough had a mild shortbread sweetness, while we were both craving a sweeter treat. So I made a few adjustments and additions, and viola! My slightly less healthy, but still quite virtuous Maple Cashew Chocolate Chip version.

Just so you know – I did try to “gluten” these cookies in a second batch, since I know that many of you don’t have a problem with wheat (all of the recipes in The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook are gluten-free), and may not have the flours and xanthan gum on hand. I replaced the brown rice flour with whole wheat pastry flour and removed the xanthan gum. I kept the starch since these are egg-free. The cookies worked, but just weren’t as good in my opinion; they were a wee bit too sweet and spread a bit more. I actually really like them the gluten-free way. But, if I were to trial them again with wheat, I would probably switch to cornstarch or arrowroot for the tapioca (it seems those starches yield a softer product) and would reduce the maple syrup by a tablespoon or two. It was a bit overpowering with the wheat, but a nice contrast with the brown rice flour. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that, in case you feel like experimenting!

Here is a pic of my wheaty results – I split the wheat batch, trialing some with raisins (pictured), some with cranberries, and some with chocolate chips – the chocolate chips won hands down.

cashew wheat maple cookies

And yes, even though there are no known problems with wheat/gluten in my household, I always keep various gluten-free flours and starches on hand. It started several years back with some recipe-testing for a few gluten-free / casein-free companies … but I quickly learned that the different flours offer new textures and flavors that are yummy in their own right. So, I just sort of kept stocking them. Fortunately, brown rice flour, tapioca starch (see my sub note above) and xanthan gum can now be found in most major grocers with ease.

Maple Cashew Chocolate Chip Cookies

I adapted this recipe from The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook by Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre. These cookies have a unique but addictive flavor that is maple-rich. Once allowed too cool, they are very cohesive, particularly for gluten-free gems, yet they still have a nice cookie dough-esque texture that I simply adored.

This recipe is Vegan, Dairy-Free, Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Peanut-Free, and Refined Sugar-Free.

Preheat your oven to 350ºF.

Place the nuts in your spice grinder (or food processor) and pulse until you get a powdery /coarse flour-like consistency. It is okay if a few little cashew bits remain, but if you go too far with the grinding, the cashews will turn into a nut butter.

In a mediume bowl, combine the cashew flour, brown rice flour, tapioca, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Briefly set aside.

In a mixing bowl, blend the oil, maple syrup, sugar, and water. Blend in the flour mixture until you get a nice dough. Stir in the chocolate chips.

The dough may seem a bit sticky / greasy, but I still found it fairly easy to loosely shape into balls and place on the cookie sheet (I line mine with a silicone baking mat). If the dough is just too much to handle, pop it in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes, it will firm up quickly. Flatten the dough balls a bit – these cookies don’t spread much as they cook, so what you see is what you get.

Bake the cookies for 12 minutes. Remove them to a wire rack to cool for at least 15 minutes. If your husband’s greedy hands try to pop them off the baking sheet while hot, they will be crumbly, but they do firm up quite a bit as they cool.

Yields 18 to 20 cookies

gluten-free vegan maple cashew cookies

Comments (25)

1. Wow those look absolutely incredible!! Those look better than most of the non-vegan cookies I make!

2. ~M says:

YUM! I love seeing recipes that I already have all the ingredients for! How soft/liquid was your coconut oil for this?

3. Erica says:

oh my! These look thick and delicious. I love a good thick/soft cookie. I think a good cook book must be super dirty- a sign of over use :)

4. Joanne says:

These cookies definitely sound droolworthy. I’m a fan of thick intense cookies – the chewier the better! Love that they are sweetened with maple syrup and stuffed with chocolate.

5. Those look great! Thanks for sharing the recipe and the great book find.

6. These look so so plump and yummy :) Our son has food allergies and so I have to be so careful about what ingredients I use for sure and would have to use the Enjoy Life dairy free chocolate chips. Have you ever tried Kamut Khorasan Wheat? Our family loves it and it is so healthy! I read that some people with gluten intolerance can eat it since it is an ancient grain!

7. These look great. I totally understand the going to the cookie section first. I recently organised my collection of recipes- desserts first of course. I thought, who am I kidding?

8. These look delicious! I made a similar recipe today with ground almond flour! I can’t wait to try these ones!

9. OMG These look amazing…I am drafting a monster dairy free post that is going to be published shortly and am shouting out to you, the dairy free goddess who I love so much :)
    xoxox

10. Don’t you just love that cookbook? It’s quickly becoming one of my favorites, as well. Love their blog, too.

11. DebinHawaii says:

I keep seeing that book and was wondering how it is. The cookies look delicious! ;-)

12. Olive says:

these cookies look delicious..cashew, maple syrup and chocochips sound like a good combination.. thanks for sharing :)

13. Michal says:

These look so yummy!

14. Um, yes you always have to taste the dough and things are always better with chocolate chips!!! I will have to try these out. I LOVE gluten free flours. Seriously, they are really good!

15. Denise says:

Wow. I’m craving these now. :D Thanks for sharing!

16. Sarah says:

Alisa- These look great!

Stop by my blog. You won the tea giveaway!!!

17. Marianne says:

They sound great, either with your chocolate version or the original coconut version. Heck, I bet both chocolate & coconut in the same cookie would even be good :)

18. Lori says:

I just made these exactly as the recipe stated. It has been so long since I’ve had chocolate chip cookies so they really hit the spot! THANKS!

19. Sandra says:

I had this book on my list of wants and ordered it about 3 days ago and am anxiously awaiting it’s arrival.

The cookies look really good. I may try them with a walnut or almonds substituted for the cashews since I don’t have any at home. I wonder if it will work?

Thanks!!!

20. […] challenge. Aubree Cherie has announced the winner. Sadly, it was not me. But, don’t those cashew cookies look oh so very good? And, following along introduce me to a blog I’d yet to stumble on […]

21. Noelle says:

I just made these! They ware SO SO delicious!!! Thanks for posting these. I did not have cashews so I made it with almonds.

22. […] Maple Cashew Chocolate Chip Cookies – made with new-to-me palm sugar and reintroduced gluten-free flours. […]

23. Liana says:

i made this recipe last night and they turned out more like a scone texture wise, but they we’re yummy nonetheless.