Mini Mushroom-Parsley Patties

Posted by on January 23, 2009 | 15 Comments

Never one to pass up a good deal, I snatched up an 8-ounce package of button mushrooms that was on for half price yesterday.  It was expiring that day, but at $.86 how could I pass it up!  Though the outsides of the mushrooms were beginning to show their age, the insides were surprisingly firm and white. Still, I thought it would be best to use them immediately while they still had a good amount of life, so I started thinking up mushroom-intensive side dishes to go with our main entrée that night.

The only thing I could think of off hand was a sautéed mushroom dish I like to make that has a good amount of spice and flavor … but, something new would be better.  It was then that I remembered my desire to make mushroom veggie burgers.  While I didn’t need whole burgers, what about some mini-mushroom patties? …

Mushroom-Parsley Patties

My husband really liked these with our evening entree, though I preferred them the next day (served with poached eggs), after the flavors had some time to sink in.  When preparing, you will find that this makes more of a batter than a firm burger-like consistency, so they should definitely be made on the stove top, lest you risk dropping the entire batch through the slats of your grill!

Mini Mushroom-Parsley Patties

• 2 Tablespoons plus 1 Teaspoon Medium to High Heat Oil, divided (I used peanut, but another refined oil or avocado oil should work well)
  • 1/3 Cup Minced Onion (¼ of a large one)
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
  • 8 ounces Button or Cremini Mushrooms, Finely Diced
  • ½ Cup Nuts or Seeds, Ground (I ground 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds and 1/4 up of almonds together in my spice grinder. I do think almonds or cashews will go best for the flavor combination, but seeds help to keep the cost down and the nutrition up!  Oh yes, and grind only until they reach a coarse powder consistency, before it begins to clump (not a problem with seeds))
  • Scant 1/2 Cup Flour of Choice (I ground just under 1/2 cup of oats in my spice grinder to acheive a flour, but any flour (including gluten-free) should work)
  • 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
  • ¼ Cup Fresh Parsley, Minced
  • ¾ -1 Teaspoon Salt
  • Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
  • 2 Medium Eggs, lightly beaten (since this was a very moist batter, I think 1 large or extra-large egg would work fine if that is the size you have on hand)

In a large fry pan, heat the 1 teaspoon of oil over medium-low heat.  Add the onions and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they begin to soften.  Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.  Place the onions and garlic in a medium-sized bowl, along with the remaining ingredients.  Stir until everything is well combined.

Returning to your fry pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat.  You want it hot, but not too hot, so be careful.  If you can handle the batter, feel free to shape it into nice round 2 to 3 inch patties.  If not, simply drop large spoonfuls of the batter onto the fry pan, flattening them to create patties with the back of your spatula.  Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until nicely browned and cooked through.

Yields about a dozen small patties

Comments (15)

1. Ricki says:

They look great! I love veg patties of all types. And bonus on the mushroom bargain!

2. Katie says:

Go bargains! Go mushrooms!

3. Liz says:

Great recipe, Alisa! I can’t wait to make them.

4. eatingbender says:

Mmm…mushroom burgers are so good! To answer your question on my blog, the Whole Foods presentation is actually for school! I just thought it’d be fun to show everyone my presentation since so many readers love Whole Foods! I’m going to next time I post!

5. jennk says:

These were great. I bought everything to make them on Friday, and they went over so well that I went back to the store yesterday for more ingredients to make them -again-. We have tried countless variations of vegetable “patties/burgers” and these have been the best. I tried a few variations both times, and this recipe seems to be very forgiving. I used about 1/4-1/2 cup more of the nut/seed/oat mixture, and one egg. I also added tamari, truffle salt, and Bragg’s for added interest. I skipped cooking the onion and garlic too, and just put all the veggies in the food processor to ensure uniform texture. Anyway, to finish this novel, I served them on bread/buns with mascarpone and caramelized onions. This recipe is truly outstanding, thanks for sharing!

6. This sounds great. I love mini burgers and this one is meatless. I’m looking for more of those. Wish I hadn’t cooked all of my mushrooms. Time to go to the store. Thank you for sharing this on Friday Foodie Fix!

7. Jessie says:

Now that’s a great plan! I’m going to keep a look out for mushroom bargains to make this! Thanks
    Jessie

8. What a great idea. I might have to put cheese on them to get my crowd to eat them, but it sounds good.

9. Thosse look great, Alisa! I’ll definitely make those in the near future. :-)

Shirley

10. Sarena says:

You know how I love mushroom patties! Yummy and cheap…I am sold!

11. [...] Linda (mushroom & beef sauce)10. CeliacTips GF Hearty Kale, White Bean Stew One Pot Wonder11. Alisa (Mini-Mushroom Parsley Patties)12. Alisa (Mushroom Barley Soup) NOT GLUTEN [...]

12. [...] Linda (mushroom & beef sauce) 10. CeliacTips GF Hearty Kale, White Bean Stew One Pot Wonder 11. Alisa (Mini-Mushroom Parsley Patties) 12. Alisa (Mushroom Barley Soup) NOT GLUTEN [...]

13. Katie says: